Heterogeneity of Public Clouds. IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing. Vol. 1, No.2, 201-214, 2014.
Office: A107 T-building Email: antti.yla-jaaskiaalto.fi
Phone: +358 50 5122737
Office hours: Friday 10-11 (agree by e-mail)
Dr.Tech. Antti Ylä-Jääski is a professor for the Data Communications Software major since 2002. Antti received his PhD in ETH Zurich 1993. He has worked with Nokia 1994-2004 in several research and research management positions with focus on future Internet, mobile networks, applications, services and service architectures. He was a Research Fellow on Internet Technologies in Nokia Research Center until 2009. In Data Communications Software, Antti’s expertise area is Internet technologies, application and service development in Internet, and network architectures. He has supervised 224 master’s thesis (see examples here) and 20 doctoral dissertations during his professorship in Aalto 2002-2014.
Currently his primary research interests include Green ICT, energy efficient communications and computing, cloud computing, massive scale machine-to-machine communication systems and Internet of Things.
Call for new doctoral students - this is now over, new to come later 2015
New doctoral student call will be opened in HICT January 2015, file your application there. I am looking for students in the following subject areas: mobile crowdsensing, mobile cloud computing, adaptive multimedia systems (with emphasis on adaptive video streaming), and software tools for developing protocols for bacterial nanonetworks, see details here.
Antti's research group consists of Adjunct Professor Pan Hui, and five post-doctoral researchers and ten phd students.
Current research projects
CUBIC - Mobile Crowdsensing in Ubiquitous Cloud Environment (Finnish Academy, 2014-2017)
Cloud-edge computing and communications in mobile networks using NSN RACS (NSN, 2014)
SIGMONA - SDN Concept in Generalized Mobile Network Architecture (Celtic-Plus, 2013-2015) with our focus on Dynamic Virtualized Network Functions on an OpenStack Cloud
eMo – Energy-Optimized Mobile Computing (Finnish Academy, 2011-2014)
MAMMoTH – Massive Scale Machine-to-Machine Service (Tekes, 2011-2014)
IoT – Internet of Things (Tivit SHOK, 2012-2014)
Green ICT - Leapfrogging energy efficiency through multidiciplinary system design (Aalto SCI, 2012-2014)
Past research projects
Future Internet (Tivit SHOK, 2008-2012)
OtaSizzle (Aalto MIDE, 2008-2011)
ISMO – Intelligent Structural Health Monitoring System (Aalto MIDE, 2008-2011)
Flexible Services (Tivit SHOK, 2008-2010)
Infra HIP – Infrastructure for Host Identity Protocol I-II (Tekes, 2004-2009)
Antti Ylä-Jääski is the Academic Director of the NordSecMob – Master’s Programme in Security and Mobile Computing since 2006. NordSecMob programme is one of the European top-quality Maste’s Programmes selected by the European Commission Erasmus Mundus Programme. Erasmus Mundus is a co-operation and mobility programme, promoting European Union as a center of excellence in higher education. This NordSecMob programme offers a joint study curriculum in five universities: Aalto University, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, The Norwegian University of Science, The Technical University of Denmark and University of Tartu. Aalto University is the coordinator of the NordSecMob programme. Antti also the director for the international master’s programme on Mobile Computing – Services and Security since 2002.
The 2009 award for best teaching of the Aalto University School of Science and Technology was granted to NordSecMob – Master’s Degree Programme in Security and Mobile Computing. Price was given to Antti Ylä-Jääski and Eija Kujanpää.
Professor of Telecommunications Software, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Aalto University, 2004 -
Professor (pro tem) of Telecommunications Software, Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory, Helsinki University of Technology, 2002-2004
Research Fellow in Internet Technologies, Nokia Research Center, Helsinki, 2004-2009
Vice President, Technology, System Technology and Business, Development, Nokia Networks, 2003-2004
Vice President, Head of Technology, Nokia Ventures Organisation, 2001-2002
Head of Laboratory, Communication Systems Laboratory, Nokia Research Center, 1997-2000
R&D Manager, Multimedia Applications and Services, Nokia Research Center, 1996
Senior Research Engineer, Nokia Research Center, Helsinki, 1994-1995
Senior R&D Engineer, Oy Mapvision Ltd, Helsinki, 1992-1994
Assistant, Communication Technology Laboratory, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1988-1992
- Ou, Z., Dong, J., Dong, S., Wu, J., Ylä-Jääski, A., and Hui, P. Utilize Signal Traces from Others? A Crowdsourcing Perspective of Energy Saving in Cellular Data Communication. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. Vol. 1, No. 2, 194-207, Jan 2015.
- Xiao, Y., Cui, Y., Savolainen, P., Siekkinen, M., Wang, A., Yang, L., Ylä-Jääski, A., and Tarkoma, S. Modeling Energy Consumption of Data Transmission over Wi-Fi. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. Vol. 13, Iss. 8, pp. 1760-1773. August 2014.
- Li, M., Lukyanenko, A., Tarkoma, S., Cui, Y., and Ylä-Jääski, A.Tolerating Path Heterogeneity in Multipath TCP with Bounded Receive Buffers. Computer Networks. Vol. 64, pp. 1-14. May 2014.
- Cheng, J., Gao S., Vairappan, C., Wang, R.L., and Ylä-Jääski, A. A Buffer Overflow Based Algorithm to Conceal Software Watermarking Trigger Behavior. IEICE Transactions. Vol. 97-D, No. 3, pp. 524-532. March 2014.
- Cui, Y., Wang, H., Cheng, X., Li, D., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Dynamic Scheduling for Wireless Data Center Networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. December 2013.
- Xiao, Y., Li, W., Siekkinen, M., Savolainen, P., Ylä-Jääski A., and Hui, P. Power Management for Wireless Data Transmission Using Complex Event Processing.IEEE Transactions on Computers. Vol. vol. 61, No. no. 12, pp. 1765-1777, 2012.
- Cui, Y., Hu, W., Wang, H., Chen, D., Tarkoma, S., and Ylä-Jääski A. Probabilistic Multi-path Routing for Multimedia Over Wireless Mesh Networks.Ad Hoc & Sensor Wireless Networks, An International Journal. Vol. 14, No. 3-4, pp. 205-225, 2012.
- Hota, C., Nunia, V., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Distributed Algorithms for Improving Search Efficiency in P2P Overlays.International Journal of Computer Network and Information Security (IJCNIS). Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 1-7, 2012.
- Sreeja, T., Hota, C., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Tag-based Improved Search in Peer-to-Peer Overlays.International Journal of Computer Applications. Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 9-16, 2012.
- Kalyanaraman, R. S., Xiao, Y., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Network prediction for energy-aware transmission in mobile applicatioins. International Journal on Advances in Telecommunications. vol 3, no. 1 &2. 72-82. September 2010.
- Arjona A., Westphal C., Ylä-Jääski A., Kristensson M., and Manner J.. Towards High Quality VoIP in 3G Networks: An Empirical Approach. International Journal of Communications, Networks and System Sciences (IJCNS) Vol. 1 No. 4 2008.
- Arjona A., C. Westphal C., J. Manner J., A. Ylä-Jääski A., and S. Takala S. Can the Current Generation of Wireless Mesh Networks Compete with Cellular Networks? Elsevier Computer Communications Journal. vol. 31, Issue 8, pp. 1564-1578, May 2008.
- Manner J., Leggio S., Mikkonen T., Saarinen J., Vuorela P., and Ylä-Jääski A. Seamless service interworking of ad-hoc networks and the Internet. Elsevier Computer Communications. Vol 31, issue 10, pp. 2293-2307, June 2008.
- Paloheimo H., Dixit S, and Ylä-Jääski A. Energy-Aware Interoperability of MANET and 4G RAN Routing. Wireless Personal Communications. Springer, June 2006.
- Källström L., Leggio S., Liimatainen S., Manner J., Mikkonen T., Raatikainen K., Saarinen J., and Ylä-Jääski A. A Framework for Seamless Service Interworking in Ad-Hoc Networks. Elsevier Computer Communications. May 2006.
- Dixit S. and Ylä-Jääski A. Guest Editorial, WDM Optical Networks: A reality Check plus: Topics in Broadband Access. IEEE Communications Magazine. Vol. 38, No. 3., pp. 58-59, March 2000.
- Ylä-Jääski A. and Ade F. Grouping symmetrical structures for object segmentation and description. Computer Vision and Image Understanding. Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 399-417, May 1996.
- Ylä-Jääski A. and Kiryati N. Adaptive termination of voting in the probabilistic circular Hough transform. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. PAMI, Vol. 16, No. 9, pp. 911-915, September 1994.
- Haribabu K., Hota C., and Ylä-Jääski A. Indexing through Querying in Unstructured Peer-to-Peer Overlay Networks. APNOMS 2008, LNCS 5297. pp. 102-111, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2008.
Conference proceedings (after 2004)
- Li, M., Lukyanenko,Ylä-Jääski, A., and Tarkoma, S.The Delayed ACK Evolution in MPTCP. IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM). Atlanta, GA USA, 9-13 December 2013.
- Li, M., Lukyanenko, A., Tarkoma, S., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Efficient new delayed ACK for TCP: old problem, new insight. In the 16th ACM international conference on Modeling, analysis & simulation of wireless and mobile systems (MSWiM'13). Barcelona, Spain, November 3-8, 2013.
- Amin, P., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Improved handover mechanisms to reduce packet forwarding in LTE-Advanced. 9th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC 2013). Sardinia, Italy, July 1-5, 2013
- Ou, Z., Dong, S., Dong, J., Nurminen, J.K., Ylä-Jääski, A., and Wang, R.
Characterize Energy Impact of Concurrent Network-Intensive Applications on Mobile Platforms. The 8th ACM Workshop on Mobility in the Evolving Internet Architecture (ACM MobiArch 2013). Miami, Florida, USA, October 4th, 2013.
- Nguyen T.H.; Di Francesco, M., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Extracting Knowledge from Wikipedia Articles through Distributed Semantic Analysis. The 13th International Conference on Knowledge Management and Knowledge Technologies (i-KNOW 2013). Graz, Austria, September 4-6, 2013, pp. 188-195.
- Li, M., Lukyanenko, A., Tarkoma, S., Cui, Y., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Tolerating path heterogeneity in multipath TCP with bounded receive buffers. ACM SIGMETRICS. Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA June 17 - 21, 2013.
- Saha, S., Lukyanenko, A., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Cooperative Caching through Routing Control in Information-Centric Networks. The 32nd IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2013). Turin, Italy, April 14-19, 2013, pp. 100-104.
- Hota, C., Nunia, V., Di Francesco, M., Nurminen, J.K., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Enhanced Search in Unstructured Peer-to-Peer Overlay Networks. The 8th International Conference on Grid and Pervasive Computing (GPC 2013). Seoul, Republic of Korea; May 9-11, 2013, pp. 270-279.
- Looga, V., Xiao, Y., Ou, Z., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Exploiting traffic scheduling mechanisms to reduce transmission cost on mobile devices.Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2012). Paris, France; April 1-4, pp. 1766-1770, 2012.
- Ou, Z., Pang, B., Deng, Y., Nurminen, J. K., Ylä-Jääski A., and Hui, P. Energy- and Cost-Efficiency Analysis of ARM-Based Clusters. The 12th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid’12). Ottawa, Canada, 13-16 May, pp. 1-9, 2012.
- Ou, Z., Zhuang, H., Nurminen, J. K, Ylä-Jääski A., and Hui, P. Exploiting Hardware Heterogeneity within the Same Instance Type of Amazon EC2. The 4th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud ’12). Boston, USA, June 12-15, pp. 1-5, 2012.
- Ou, Z., Zhuang, H., and Ylä-Jääski A. How Much Energy Can You Save? An Energy Perspective of Youtube.Poster in the 4th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud ’12). Boston, USA, 12-15 June, pp. 1-2, 2012.
- Pin N., Salminen J., Lukyanenko A., and Ylä-Jääski A. Smart Trigger for Ultralow Power and Time Critical WSN Applications. The IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings 2012). Besançon, France, 2012.
- Siekkinen, M., Nurminen, J. K., and Ylä-Jääski A. Creating Green Incentives and Mechanisms Through Packet-Level Energy Accounting. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (Future Green Communications Workshop). Paris, France, pp. 12-17, April 2012.
- Lukyanenko A., Gurtov, Andrei; Yla-Jaaski, Antti. DISPUTE: Distributed puzzle tussle.IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), Corfu, Greece, June 28 2011-July 1 2011.IEEE. 775 – 778.
- Saha, Sumanta; Lukyanenko, Andrey; Ylä-Jääski, Antti. CombiHeader: Minimizing the Number of Shim Headers in Redundancy Elimination Systems. IEEE INFOCOM Global Internet, April 2011, Shanghai, China. Shanghai, China 2011, IEEE. 809-814.
- Xiao,Yu; Hui, Pan; Savolainen, Petri; Ylä-Jääski, Antti. CasCap: cloud-assisted context-aware power management for mobile devices. MCS ’11 Proceedings of the second international workshop on Mobile cloud computing and services.Washington, DC, USA June 28th, 2011. pp.13-18.
- Xiao,Y.,Bhaumik, R., Yang, Z.,Siekkinen, M., Savolainen, P., and Ylä-Jääski, A. A system-level model for runtime power estimation on mobile devices. In Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Green Computing and Communications (Hangzhou, China, December 18-20, 2010). GREENCOM’10.
- Li M., Cui Y., Siekkinen M., and Ylä-Jääski A. NPLA: Network Prefix Level Authentication. In Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (IEEE Globecom 2010). Miami, Florida, USA, December 6-10, 2010.
- Cheng J., Wang Y., Li M., Ylä-Jääski A., Yu K., and Ma J. A New Trust Mechanism Based On Gravitation Model Of Reputation Value In Social Network. In Proceedings of the 3rdIEEE International Conference on Broadband Network& Multimedia Technology (3rd IEEE IC-BNMT 2010), Beijing, China, Oct. 26-28, 2010.
- Muukkonen T, Luukkainen S., and Ylä-Jääski A. Managing Energy Effectiveness in Finnish Data Centers. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Green Computing, ICGREEN 2010. Athens, Grece, July 29-31, 2010.
- Li M., Siekkinen M., Tarkoma S., Ylä-Jääski A., and Cui Y. Segment Level Authentication. In Proceedings of the IEEE symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC’10). Riccione, Italy, June 22-25, 2010.
- Xiao, Y., Siekkinen, M., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Framework for energy-aware lossless compression in mobile services: the case of e-mail. In Proceedings of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Communications (Cape Town, South Africa, May 23-27, 2010). ICC’10. IEEE.
- Xiao, Y., Savolainen, P., Karppanen, A., Siekkinen, M., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Practical power modeling of data transmission over 802.11g for wireless applications. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Energy-Efficient Computing and Networking (Passau, Germany, April 13 – 15, 2010). e-Energy ’10. ACM, New York, NY, 75-84. Received the best paper award.
- Siekkinen M., Manner J., Tarkoma S., and Ylä-Jääski, A. hBox – Connecting Homes. In Proceedings of IEEE/IFIP 3rd International Conference on New technologies, Mobility and Security. NTMS’2009. December 2009.
- Cui Y., Hu W., Tarkoma S., and Ylä-Jääski A. Probabilistic Routing for Multiple Flows in Wireless Multi-hop Networks. In Proceedings of 34th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN). Switzerland, October 20-23, 2009.
- Kalyanaraman, R. S., Xiao, Y., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Network prediction for adaptive mobile applications. In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies(Sliema, Malta, October 11-16, 2009). UBICOMM’09. IEEE. 141-146.
- Xiao, Y., Kalyanaraman, R. S., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Middleware for energy-awareness in mobile devices. In Proceedings of the Fourth International ICST Conference on Communication System Software and middlewaRE (Dublin, Ireland, June 16 – 19, 2009). COMSWARE ’09. ACM, New York, NY, 1-6. Received the best paper award.
- Xiao, Y., Kalyanaraman, R. S., and Ylä-Jääski, A. Energy consumption of mobile YouTube: quantitative measurement and analysis. In Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (Cardiff, Wales, UK, September 16-19, 2008). NGMAST ’08. IEEE.61-69.
- Murali P., Rakesh K., Chittaranjan Hota C., and Ylä-Jääski A. Energy Aware Routing in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In Proceedings of IFIP Wireless Days Conference. Nov 24-27, Dubai, 2008.
- Miaoqing T., Arjona A., and Ylä-Jääski A. Real-time Service Migration for Voice over IP Services. In Proceedings of The Second International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing Systems, Services and Technologies, UBICOMM 2008. Sep 29-Oct 4, Valencia, Spain, 2008.
- Rafiqul C.,Arjona A., Lindqvist J., and Ylä-Jääski A. Interconnecting Multiple Home Network Services. In Proceedings of IEEE 15th International Conference in Telecommunications ICT’08. St. Petersburg, Russia, June 16-19, 2008., 7, 2008.
- Arjona A., Ylä-Jääski A., Westphal C., and Kristensson M. Towards High Quality VoIP in 3G Networks: An Empirical Study. In Proceedings of IEEE Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications AICT’08. Athens Greece, June 8-13, 2008. Received the best paper award.
- Arjona A. and A. Ylä-Jääski A. Mobile IP as an Enabler of VoIP in Wireless Mesh Networks. In Proceedings of IEEE 67th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC’08. Marina Bay Singapore, May 11-14, 2008.
- Arjona A., Ylä-Jääski A., and Kerttula J. Live Network Performance Challenge: FLASHOFDMA vs. HSDPA. In Proceedings of IEEE 22nd International Conference of Advanced Information Networking and Applications AINA’08. Okinawa Japan, March 25-28, 2008.
- Haribabu K., Dayakar Reddy D., Hota C., Ylä-Jääski A, and Tarkoma S. Adaptive lookup for unstructured peer-to-peer overlays. In Proceedings of Third International Conference on Communication Systems & Middleware (IAMCOM/COMSWARE 2008). Bangalore, 5-10 January 2008, pp 776-782.
- Arjona A. and Ylä-Jääski A. ViIP Call Signaling Performance and Always-On Battery Consumption in HSDPA, WCDMA and WiFi. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing WICOM’07. Shanghai China, Sept. 21-23, 2007.
- Hota C., Lindqvist J., Karvonen K., Ylä-Jääski A., and Mohan C.K.J. Safeguarding Against Sybil Attacks via Social Networks and Multipath Routing. In Proceedings of IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications and Networking in China (Chinacom 2007). Shanghai, China, Aug. 2007.
- Manner J., Ylä-Jääski A., and Kettunen J. Distributed Service Location and Session Management for Ad-hoc Networks. In Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, IEEE WoWMoM. Helsinki, Finland, 18-21 June 2007.
- Paloheimo H., Manner, J., Nieminen J., and A. Ylä-Jääski A. Challenges in Packet Scheduling in 4G Wireless Netowrks. In Proceedings of he 17th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC). Helsinki, pp. 1-6, September 11-14 2006.
- Lindqvist J., Ylä-Jääski A., and Manner J.. Resilient IPv6 Multicast Address Allocation in Ad Hoc Networks. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Wireless Ad Hoc & Sensor Networks (IWWAN). New York, June 28-30 2006.
- Wei K. and Ylä-Jääski A.. Load Balancing and High Availability Patterns. In Proceedings of the Nordic Conference on Pattern Language Programs, VikingPLoP2005. Helsinki, September 23-25 2005.
- Leggio S., Liimatainen S., Manner J., Mikkonen T., Saarinen J., and Ylä-Jääski A. Towards Service Interworking among Ad-Hoc Networks and the Internet. In Proceedings of the 14th IST Mobile and Wireless Communications Summit. Dresden, Germany, 19-23 June 2005. 5 pages
- Paloheimo H. and Ylä-Jääski A. Interoperability of MANET and 4G RAN Routing in Terms of Energy Conservation. In Proceedings of the IEEE 19th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA 2005). Taiwan, March 2005.
- Burlacu A.M., Burlacu D., and Ylä-Jääski A.. FFDSLP – A Fast Failure Detection Service Location Protocol. In Proceedings of INC 2004 Fourth International Network Conference. Plymouth, UK, 205-212, July 2004.
Cheng, J., Gao S., Vairappan, C., Wang, R.L., and Ylä-Jääski, A. A Buffer Overflow Based Algorithm to Conceal Software Watermarking Trigger Behavior. IEICE Transactions. Vol. 97-D, No. 3, March 2014, pp. 524-532.